Skip to main content

Our Annual Playgroup School Portraits

Each year around this time I do portraits for a few playgroups locally. And each year I create portraits I just love to share. I'm not able to share many as I need permission and as I don't often meet the parents I have to send out some model release forms and wait to see who sends them back. I only ever share work once I receive permission to do so.
Its never easy doing these types of portrait sessions. While small children have a natural beauty that needs no enhancements we are dealing with limited time and small children who are often frightened of the situation. I am usually a stranger to them. And my big lights can be scary. But I have patience and for playgroups, unlike schools, I have a little more time to work with them so that I can usually, but not always, bring them out of their shell and get something I think is pretty incredible.
You might notice that not all the kids are smiling here. Thats because sometimes some children just won't smile for me. No matter what I do, they just won't give me that. But I don't mind. This is who they are at this time. Some children are very timid for other people. I don't see this as an unattractive quality. I think its absolutely beautiful and it is this sort of portrait that is going to be cherished in years to come. When this child is a boisterous, confident, talkative grown person it is going to be amazing to look back and see where they started.
I know my favourite school portrait of my brother was when he was 4 and immensely shy. But my whole family adored that picture more than any others. In fact, I can remember that photo in great detail much more than I can remember any of the others. So clearly, it had impact.
These children are really at such a lovely age. I love the cuteness factor each and every time I do these. Its highly rewarding for me when I can capture a connection like I have here. And I love knowing that these families will look back on these portraits for many years to come. Some day someone will be looking at these portraits and cherish them as I do my own which to me is pretty incredible.  
I would have loved to share more from this year. I had so many favourites. It always makes me a little sad that I can't share more. But I'm still glad I get to share these. So thank you to the families that allowed me to share. I really do appreciate it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portraits Even a Teenager Boy Loves

Finally I've had the opportunity to photograph a young man in my studio again. And funnily enough this was the second time that week which is absolutely superb. In both cases these young men were just as enthusiastic to be involved as I was, which is something I don't often get when I'm working with very young children, my usual subjects. With young children I find my energy in their cuteness. But with young adults I get energy from their excitement over how the portraits are working out. I get such a buzz from the experience and that can keep me going for hours, often editing the photos straight after the shoot for hours more.


Shoots for teenagers is something I've been wanting to focus on for some time. Its not something that I often get asked for though unfortunately. It tends to be parents of very young children who want to capture moments that are slipping through their fingers at lightening speed. Maybe its teenage moodiness that means these moments don't fe…

Experiencing Photography in the Real World by Sophie Clarke

My name is Sophie Clarke and I am from Redmoor Academy. I spent the week doing work experience with my friend Isabelle at Christina Lauder Portraits. I chose to do my work experience with Christina as I have a very keen interest in photography and I wanted to know more about being a photographer as a career. From spending the week with Christina, I have now learnt that being a photographer isn’t just about taking photos; there is so much more behind it.
Isabelle and I testing the lighting and set up for prom

On the first day, we mainly watched Christina develop some of her images on the computer using software such as Photoshop, Lightroom and Colour Efex. This has now taught me new skills because before I didn't really have any knowledge about these, so I will now be able to use what I have learnt in my own work. The next day, in preparation for a trial prom shoot, Isabelle and I helped set up and put the props in place. Whilst Christina was photographing the client, she taught us a…

Isabelle's Photography Experience

I'm Isabelle Stratford from Redmoor Academy and I've been doing my work experience here at Christina Lauder Photography with my friend Sophie. I'm very interested in photography and currently taking it at GCSE and working here throughout the week has helped me learn several different things about the profession.
 Sophie and I testing out the set up and lighting for prom
Our first day consisted of mainly watching Christina edit some photos and her explain different elements of what she does which then prepared us for the rest of the week when we began doing our own things. She also showed us many of her favourite final edited images that she keeps as samples and told us where she'd got her inspiration from to shoot in the style that she loves. To help her Sophie and I also completed some small tasks that needed doing like filing and clearing up. On Tuesday a client came in for a trial shoot in preparation for a prom so we helped set up for that but then watched as Chris…

Experiencing a Photography Career by Libby Noden

My name is Libby Noden and I am from Hastings High School. I chose to do my work experience with Christina because I am highly interested in photography and modelling. Doing work experience at Christina Lauder Portraits has made me realise that the working world is totally different to what i though it was like. I've done my work experience with my friend Ella who is also interested in photography.

Photography is all about how a photo is formed from the camera to computer. Photoshop is also a big part of being a photographer. Luckily, part of my experience was learning how to use Photoshop and this will have a big impact on me as i am taking photography for GCSE. On the first day, we watched Christina edit and prepare for a viewing. We also used Pinterest to come up with ideas for our own shoot. On the second day, we helped Christina with a photo shoot with a small French Bulldog which was very fun and different. After that, we continued with our panning for our shoot then helped…

Portraits of a Young Chocolate Lab and Winner of Our Facebook Competition

This month I ran a quick competition on Facebook to promote pet portraits. This is something I've taken a serious interest in over the past year and I'm keen to get the word out that I can create something really special of your pet. And I say pet because I am interested in photographing more than just dogs. It just happens that people are more likely to have portraits of their dogs than any other type of pet.


So this was the winning dog chosen at random from all those who submitted a picture of their dog and followed the instruction of liking our page and our post. And I must say I couldn't be happier with the luck of the draw.


The colouring of this dog works so well with my current favourite style of portrait. I adore the images you see here so much I can't stop myself from coming back to look at them time and time again. It almost makes me want to go out a buy a dog like him so that I can have portraits like this of my own pet.


But I shan't be hasty. I know a do…